More books this week! I’m just making sample books at this point, finding which techniques I enjoy.
The sketchbook on the left is a standard codex of bristol paper with signatures sewn over tabs and glued to a cloth spine cover. The cover is mulberry paper over davey board.
The one one right is a Japanese stab binding in a hemp stitch. This time I added a hinged cover of davey board with mulberry paper over top.
Click on the pic to see the stitching up close. Really pretty pattern.
I’m planning another in higher contrast so the stitch pattern is highlighted. This particular one seemed to want to stay low-key.
I love these stab bindings; they make for such pretty journals or sketchbooks. The hinged cover is really essential for the purpose, though; it’s tough to use a sketchbook that doesn’t open flat.
It’s going to be a long week for me away from my studio and any possibility of making stuff. Except perhaps some digital art. See you next week!
Since I’m ever so familiar with sewing, this type of bookbinding comes very naturally to me. I’ve made these two sample books as practice before putting together a hinged hard cover book. Maybe this weekend.
At long last, I have completed the dress that coordinates with the CR jacket in an earlier post. This is Simplicity pattern 2443, and not really simple, but well worth taking it slow and getting it right. Lots of designer details here and the overall look is great.
I used a stretch twill for the skirt and a textured knit for the bodice. If I had to do it over again, I would use something with a bit less body for the jacket an skirt; the twill is just a teeny bit too stiff for my taste.
So, I’m finished, just in time to take it on my next business trip, where it will be in the 90’s. Perfect!