I couldn’t help but make up a few more of these. So simple, and so much more fun to give and receive than an envelope!
I used fabric that I has stacked and slashed to get the multi-layered chenille effect (that in itself is so much fun to do) then followed the process described in the link on my previous post.
I know a little hippie-chick who’s going to love one of these!
Another great idea from the small projects download at Quiltingarts.com.
I plan on using these two as gift card holders, but they would work for business cards, driver’s license, anything that size. Each has two pockets, but only one side works “magically” by ejecting the card when the ribbon is pulled.
Of course, you could easily alter the instructions to make both pockets function that way.
They go together really quickly and easily. You really can make up a few in an hour or less.
I used fabric scraps from another project, so they were already pieced and embellished for the most part.
I hope the “giftees” like the holder as well as the card!
I want to give my girls some special jewelry for Christmas and had been looking for pretty ways to wrap it when I came across this download from Quilting Daily.
Tiny gift box
These are very simple, and quite pretty. I did have to enlarge the pattern about 20% in order to have it fill the 8×8 square, so be aware of that.
The instructions say to “sew close to all cut edges, including the slits”. I used a decorative stitch and then thought, “why didn’t I just do buttonholes?”. Make buttonholes. I will next time.
Other than that, follow the instructions. I did, for once and they turned out just great.
I made one out of paper, just by folding up the pattern and it occurred to me that these would look great made out of a heavy stock handmade paper. Something soft enough to bend with out creasing, so don’t use a cardstock. Maybe a Japanese mulberry paper or some such.
Here’s what they look like opened up:
Here is some context for size:
Can’t wait til my girls get to open their gifts, and then keep the wrapping to store them in!
I eventually had to put this on my dress form to get the pieces and parts in the right places. I’d have thought maybe it was just me being a little thick-headed except that when I started to get frustrated I did a quick search to see if I was, in fact, thick-headed, or if there were errors.
Sure ’nuff, I wasn’t the only one out there.
Apart from the mistakes, others noted that they had made alterations when finished; sewn up the side seams to shorten the armholes and tacked the draped front closed. If I were going to wear the dress by itself, I’d have done the same, but in my experience as a full busted individual, wrap front dresses never stay closed well enough and so I opted to leave the dress as is and wear a tank underneath.
Since I used a silky lycra knit… I got it on clearance and suppose it might be a swim wear knit… I didn’t bother to line the skirt. It’s a decision I’m glad of since one of the pattern errors has to do with the lining and I might have bagged the whole project by that point.
All things considered, I am quite pleased with the results. The fit is good, the fabric worked well and it is very comfortable to wear.
Apologies for the lousy photo. Time crunch. Sometimes adequate just has to do.
Because I need another bag. If you have seen my shoe-and-handbag closet, you know this to be a lie. I am such a sucker for a pretty purse.
I loved the sculptural look of this one and figured it was a good excuse to use up some of the fabric I shouldn’t have bought on a bag that I don’t need. All very logical, right?
This is Butterick 5658. Yes, I know; simple enough to do without a pattern, but when you can pick them up for a couple bucks at JoAnn, why not take advantage of someone else having done the work.
This went together very easily, but I was glad I had some heavy duty leather needles. There are places where, with seam allowances, you sew through 4 or 5 layers of fabric and interfacing. I suppose with cotton it would be fine, but the canvas and suede were a strain. Good thing I have Helga (the Viking).
Love the contrasting side pockets.
The print is an indoor/outdoor burlap-like canvas and the red is a soft and pretty faux-suede.
I have enough of the canvas left that I think I’ll cover a pair of sandals that are a bit beat up, but a great shape. Won’t that be a sweet summer combo with a big floppy beach hat?
I don’t go to Renaissance Faires. I don’t go to Halloween parties. I had absolutely no reason to make these pieces other than I wanted to see how it felt to wear something like this for everyday, thinking that it must be pretty comfortable and maybe I can adapt them to work for everyday 21st century appropriate garb. Still thinking through all that.
There are five pieces here; a chemise, a slip, both done in muslin, a vest, a dress and an over-skirt. I used, abused and adapted from Simplicity 5582. The dress is not part of the pattern, but I used the chemise parts and simply extended the skirt as an A-line from the waist. On both the slip and over-skirt, I initially used a twill tape drawstring for the wait, but really, it’s not ideal, do I went back in with elastic and sewed the twill tape to the elastic ends as decorative ties. Not period authentic, but a damn sight more convenient and comfortable.
I had the over skirt and vest fabrics in my stash, bought them together from a clearance table at least a year ago, then last week, found the coordinating fabric I used for the dress on the same clearance table. Stroke of luck.
These are really simple garments to put together; I don’t think I spent more than 10 hours on all five pieces.
I don’t really see myself hanging out in the garden this summer in these, but, hey, maybe I’ll go to a Renaissance festival.