As I took a look through the Fall 2012 RTW shows, I was just loving the patterned, layered sweater knits and all-over patterned pants suits like this one from Rue du Mail.
And so the shopping began, I found a couple black and ivory knits in a wool/cotton blend from Fashion Fabrics Club and a tweedy woven wool at JoAnn, and dug out a few other pieces from my stash. Initially, I was going to make a draped skirt, a top and a jacket, but I ended up going a little crazy and finished with six pieces.
How can I wear thee? Let me count the ways…
First, the skirt. I used McCalls 5434,
but altered the pattern by cutting four slices in the right front from the side seam almost to the center. I spread them apart right on the fabric and trued the line as I cut. Daring; I know, but it worked just fine. You can’t take this stuff too seriously. Then I gathered up that side to its original proportions. I’m pleased with the result. Here it is.
Next came a top to go with. I picked up this Vogue 8771 last week, thinking it would be ever so comfy in sweater knits for this upcoming 6 months that we call Winter in Upstate NY. When JoAnn has Vogue patterns for $3.99, I can’t resist and this time came home with 8 or so.
I used the same knit as for the skirt on the body, and the coordinating knit for the sleeves. I love the high-low hemline here.
I have sewn Butterick 4665 three or four times now.
It’s a very simple coat that goes together quickly and fits me well after a FBA the first time around. I omitted pockets and closures, just wanting this to be more of a casual cardigan type jacket. Again, I mixed the two knits and lined it in a champagne colored charmeuse from my stash.
I had enough of the smaller print to sew up a simple pair of elastic waist pants, also from M5434. I’m feeling like it might be a bit much to wear together, but, hey, that was the goal, right?
Then I remembered that I had made up the top from Vogue 8771 in that same charmeuse I used for the jacket lining. Bonus piece! I don’t like the fit of this at all; there’s just too much of it, it’s all too big and shiny, but it works under jackets with just a bit of the drapey neckline peeking out. Charmeuse and DD’s is just plain stupid. I know better.
Part of my Vogue haul was Vogue 8757, a most adorable little jacket with a collar that goes oh-so-many ways.
I used both knits, for the sleeves and collar, some stash fleece for the side front and under collar and the woven wool for the front and back.
Everything was going so well. The muse was upon me. I hardly had to pick out a seam. Even the serging was smooth. Then I tried on the jacket and there was some funky bunching along the back sleeves. . I thought I caught the lining, or (gods forbid) cut off some critical bits when serging the sleeve into the shoulders, but after a couple ons-and-offs, I determined that the woven wool had far more “give” than the brocade I used to line it with and that was causing the bumps. So I cleverly pulled a bit crosswise on the lining, which promptly shredded down the center back seam. No, no seam allowances; I had serged them off! Clever girl. The best I could do was to bind the edges so it doesn’t fray further and vow to never take the jacket off in public. So much for any smugness I might have been feeling. And, yes, those are skulls on the brocade. It was leftover from a costume something or other I made for my son and I didn’t have another piece of anything suitable to use. Should have just gone shopping. I knew better!